Resita Steam Locomotive Museum

               


  • Slider Image SZEKUL steam locomotive was brought by ship from Vienna to Bazias, on St.E.G. railway to Oravita, and up a platform pulled by oxen to Resita.
  • Slider Image The Viennese steam locomotive SZEKUL, number plate 1., worked up to 1936, the year it was repealed.
SZEKUL - 1

The residents in Resita celebrated in July 3, 1871 a century from the two furnaces named Franciscus and Josephus setting in work, a moment that symbolically means the birth certificate of iron industry and plants in Resita.

16 years had passed from January 1, 1855, the day the furnaces, workshops and industrial installations there had been incorporated into the Austrian St.E.G..

That time of rapid and deep changing propelled the local iron works to the most important and successful ones in Europe. The board of Staats Eisenbahn Gesellschaft / the Privileged Austrian State Railway Company - a multinational industrial conglomerate based in Vienna - made than not only the survey of activity but also ambitious projects concerning the development of the company. They finalized in 1871 the tracks adapted to the steam machines (to replace so the horse driving) and began to set the industrial railroad Resita - Bocsa - Ocna de Fier.

When finalizing the new tracks for transporting coal from Secul to Resita, they brought from Vienna a steam engine specially designed by John Haswell (manager of the Steam Locomotive Plant of St.E.G. - Vienna) to be used on that mountain railway. Called thus SZEKUL, number plate 1., it worked up to 1936, the year it was repealed.

The engine was brought by ship from Vienna to Bazias, on St.E.G. railway from Bazias to Oravita, and up a platform pulled by oxen from Oravita to Resita.

In November 26, 1871, in a Sunday morning, at 8:30, Johann Pittner signaled the beginning of the steam powered rail transport in Resita. They say that mechanic Pittner used for 233 times the hooter during that first way, the exact number of curves the railway had from Resita to Secul.

One year later they manufactured in Resita, under chief engineer Carl Heinrich’s direction, the three steam locomotives called: RESICZA – number plate 2.; BOGSAN - number plate 3., and HUNGARIA – number plate 4..

  • Muzeul de Locomotive cu Abur Reşiţa 1. MLA Resita - 2018. Main entrance.
  • Muzeul de Locomotive cu Abur Reşiţa 2. MLA Resita - 2018. Group of students, visiting.
  • Muzeul de Locomotive cu Abur Reşiţa 3. MLA Resita - 2012. October night.
  • Muzeul de Locomotive cu Abur Reşiţa 4. MLA Resita - 2016. October morning.
  • Muzeul de Locomotive cu Abur Reşiţa 5. MLA Resita - 2012. December morning.
  • Muzeul de Locomotive cu Abur Reşiţa 6. MLA Resita - 2012. December morning.
  • Muzeul de Locomotive cu Abur Reşiţa 7. MLA Resita - 2012. Main entrance.
MLA Resita

The inaugural moment of the Exhibition of steam locomotives Resita (Triaj area), in 1972, April 29, marked 100 years from the first steam locomotive manufacturing in Resita.
It also was the last moment in the series of events dedicated to the bicentenary of iron industry in Resita (1771-1971).

Steam locomotive manufacturing had become history since 1964, in fact. 92 years along no less than 1461 locomotives were manufactured here.

But, progressively the old steam machines were laid up in favor of more performing Diesel engines. Some of those machines went working up to the 1980s, but the largest number of them was rapidly valorized as scrap iron.

That was the context of constituting the collection of steam engines in Resita, under eng. Mircea Ioan Popa`s direction, with 16 machines, the one called RESICZA occupying the central position. It is the first steam locomotive manufactured in South-Eastern Europe, in 1872.
Such a deep quality was the reason of the campaign of revival the Collection, in relation with the particular way of exposing the included machines.

The Steam Locomotive Museum in Resita – the Greatest Open-air Technical Museum in Europe was the slogan that U.D.R. Foundation used in starting the campaign in 2012, consisting in: engines re-dyeing, the park re-arranging, asphalting of footpaths, and the complete changing of the lighting public system with new architectural elements to better display the pieces by night. Free Wi-Fi was also put at the visitors' service.

  • Slider Image 8. Resita - The Triaj area – In the 1970s. Locomotives to the right.
  • Slider Image 9. MLA Resita - In the 1970s. General view.
  • Slider Image 10. MLA Resita - In the 1970s. General view.
  • Slider Image 11. MLA Resita - 2012. Main entrance.
  • Slider Image 12. MLA Reşiţa - 2012. Main entrance.

140 years after the first steam locomotive manufacturing in Resita, and 40 years after the Collections setting, the new inaugural moment was prepared through a media campaign: 1–40–140.

The event took place in 2012, September 16, an opportunity for the large number of people there to enjoy the Royal Train coming in Resita.

All at once U.D.R. Foundation made the necessary steps to legally classify each of the engines the Foundation got.

It was a unique operation in Caras-Severin County, and so the 16 mobile goods entered the national heritage (law category Tezaur / Thesaurus) following the Order of the Romanian Ministry of Culture, No. 2218/ April 4, 2014.

New and large procedures of active preserving by dyeing and anti-corrosive protecting were made in 2018. Giving the difficult meteorological conditions, more than six months they worked there for the benefit of U.D.R. Foundation. Resita Reductoare & Regenerable S.A. executed the procedures, including a re-setting of the public and architectural lighting system. NextCity S.A. granted the financial support.

A really local symbol and one of the most emblematical units in the Mountainous Banat, the Resita Steam Locomotive Museum keeps so its attractively position irrespective of hour, day or season.

As an open-air museum placed in a clear marked but not enclosed area, the museum also allows the visitors' free access all along the year.

  • Slider Image
  • Slider Image